Norwich Gets Grant Of Nearly $300,000 To Upsize Tigertown Culverts

Should prevent future road washouts.

The Town of Norwich is going big on Tigertown Road. The Town was awarded a grant of nearly $300,000 in federal funds to upsize two culverts on that road

The culverts were one of the culprits behind the washout of Tigertown Road during Tropical Storm Irene and the July 1, 2017 storm. "Though the existing culverts are large, they could not handle the volume of flow during the July 1, 2017 storm event. Instead, the water overflowed the roadway (Tigertown) and washed out everything surrounding the culverts," explained Town Manager Herb Durfee in an email. "[W]ithout upsizing the culverts, the next storm will unleash similar or worse damage in that immediate area."

Advertisement: Content continues below...
Even though FEMA will (eventually) partially reimburse the Town for repairs from the July 1 storm, the agency would not pay to replace the culverts, as they were not damaged in the storm. This grant will allow the work to happen. 

Cost of the project is $348,615. The grant covers 80% or $278,892, with the Town responsible for the remaining 20% or $69,723. The Town wants to complete the project during this construction season.  That timetable, however, depends on whether the necessary state and federal permits can be obtained in time. 

The size details are set forth in the grant application: 
The proposed project is to upsize these two culverts on Tigertown Road that runs parallel to Tiger Town Brook. Culvert #25 (culvert 1 on Pathways plans) is an existing 4ft x 25ft steel corrugated pipe and its recommended replacement is a 13ft x 6ft concrete box culvert with headwalls and wingwalls. Culvert #29 (culvert 2 on Pathways plans) is an existing 5ft x 3.8ft x 54ft corrugated metal arch pipe and its recommended replacement is a 10ft x 4ft x 54ft concrete box culvert with headwalls and wingwalls. 

Examples of box culverts. Source: Wieser Concrete.


==================
POSTED: 04.04.2019
Contact me at: norwichobserver@gmail.com 


Have something you'd like to Post?
Get started today.

Comments

Download the DailyUV app today!