There is a new kid in town and he seems to be happy to be here. It was nice to meet Spencer B Potter the other day in the Norwich Lister's Office.
We discussed his new "Contract" Assessors position and I asked Spencer if he would supply with me some info for this article.
Spencer Potter in his office
This is his story:
He has been an Assessor in Vermont since 1990. Currently he is a Contract Assessor in Norwich and also in;
Hubbardton, Mendon, New Haven, Newport City, and Waitsfield.
I asked him by e-mail to answer three questions:
1. Are you a part time "Contract" Assessor in each of these towns?
1. No. In Mendon, Hubbarton, and Newport City I am the appointed Assessor. These towns do not have Listers. In Norwich, New Haven, and Waitsfield I am the "contract" Assessor and work with the Board of Listers of each Town.
2. What attracted you to Norwich?
2. The size (number of properties) of Norwich fits my business model.
3. What are two of your immediate goals that you would like to achieve?
3. The Norwich Board of Listers sets the priorities for the Town.
Assessing/Listing has an annual cycle of tasks that must be accomplished. I am visiting properties that have Zoning permits and updating the data for changes. In the late Spring the Grand List for this year will be established and sent to the Town Clerk. This will start the annual cycle all over again.
Cheryl Lindberg and Spencer Potter reviewing a document
Spencer lives in Waitsfield where He is a member of the Waitsfield Conservation Commission. He is also the Mad River Valley Meals on Wheels Driver Coordinator.
In the summer Spencer likes to help out at Woodchuck Golf.
In the fall he is accompanied by a German short hair pointer named Eva into the woods.
He also used to referee hockey, soccer, and lacrosse , but has since retired
If you see Spencer in and around town, take a moment and say hello, and I am sure you will be greeted with a smile.
Welcome to Norwich Spencer! May you and your smile please stay for awhile.
Thanks, for reading
Click here to read more "about Norwich" stories and to subscribe to my:
My "about Norwich" Logo