Smoke from homeless camp brings in Hartford firefighters

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION - For the second time in just over a month, smoke rolling up from underneath the Urban Bridge in downtown White River Junction caused Hartford firefighters to respond to the homeless encampment underneath.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    Back on December 5th it was a tent that caught fire but on Friday afternoon it turned out to be a creosote-soaked railroad tie that had been added to a campfire which was causing the thick smoke to come up over the bridge deck near the intersection of Routes 4, and 5 and North Main Street by the Bugbee Senior Center.

    Firefighters extinguished the small fire and warned the lone camper who was present among the dozen tents that were set up to put the word out that burning ties, aside from the fact that they belong to the railroad, is not allowed in Vermont because they produce acrid smoke that contains toxins.

Hartford Fire Lt. Keith Morse carries in extra fire extinguishers

Hartford Fire Captain David Rowlee carries away a burnt railroad tie

Vermont News can be contacted at vermontnews802@gmail.com

Comments 2

Download the DailyUV app today!