Dangerous kidnapper on the loose after forcing woman and child to drive to White River Junction

Submitted 17 days ago
Created by
Eric Francis


WHITE RIVER JUNCTION - The FBI, the Vermont State Police and the Hartford Police Department are actively searching for a dangerous man who is wanted for numerous crimes including kidnapping and sexual assault, police said Sunday.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    Police urge anyone with information on the whereabouts of Everett Simpson, 41, most recently of St. Johnsbury, Vermont, to call 911, their nearest police department, or the Hartford Police Department at (802) 295-9425. 

    Law enforcement advises people to use extreme caution and not approach Simpson but instead immediately call police to report any potential sightings.

    Simpson is last known to be driving a stolen 2014 silver Kia Forte sedan with New Hampshire license plate 396 7479.

    The incident began at about 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019, outside the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester, when a man later identified as Simpson forced a woman and her child into their car and drove to Vermont.

    Upon reaching White River Junction, Simpson forced the woman to rent a room at a local hotel, where he proceeded to sexually assault the victim.

    Police said the victim is a stranger who was targeted at random. When Simpson left the hotel room, the victim and child were able to reach safety and contact the police. 

    Police determined that three days earlier Simpson had escaped from a substance abuse rehabilitation facility in easter Vermont by stealing a car.

    Law enforcement authorities have searched locations where Simpson is known to have resided or may have connections, including an apartment in St. Johnsbury, but as of 2:20 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019, no contact with Simpson had been reported.

    Simpson has had previous interactions with the police, including an incident in mid-September when police said he stole a vehicle from the parking lot of a hospital in Littleton, New Hampshire that was tracked via "On Star" to Lyndonville, Vermont where a trooper attempted to stop it during pre-dawn hour and got in a pursuit that reached speeds of 90 mph before Simpson slid off the roadway into a swampy area.

    At the time troopers said Simpson bailed out of the car and attempted to flee on foot and then got into a struggle with a state police sergeant whom he allegedly punched repeatedly in the head before he was wrestled into handcuffs.  The sergeant suffered a broken hand.

    Simpson appeared in Caledonia County criminal court in September where he pleaded innocent to several felony and misdemeanor charges and was initially held for lack of $20,000 bail.

       Currently this case is being investigated by the FBI, Vermont State Police, Hartford police and the Manchester (New Hampshire) Police Department in conjunction with the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Vermont.

    Updates will be issued by police as more information becomes available.

Simpson is described as a balding white male, standing about 6-feet 3-inches tall and weighing 255 pounds, with blue eyes and brown hair.


UPPER DARBY TOWNSHIP, Pennsylvania (January 6, 2019) — Everett Simpson, the man suspected of abducting a woman and child in New Hampshire and then sexually assaulting the woman at a Vermont hotel, was taken into custody following a car chase Sunday evening outside Philadelphia. 

    Simpson, 41, most recently of St. Johnsbury, faces extradition to Vermont following his arrest by the Upper Darby Township (Pennsylvania) Police Department. He is expected to face federal charges in the District of Vermont related to car theft, kidnapping and sexual assault. The prosecution is being coordinated by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Burlington.

    The arrest of Simpson followed a manhunt and investigation that included the FBI, the Vermont State Police, the Hartford (Vermont) Police Department and the Manchester (New Hampshire) Police Department, in conjunction with the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Vermont. 

    Sunday afternoon, police from the Prospect Park (Pennsylvania) Police Department were on an unrelated traffic stop when an automated license-place recognition system (ALPR) identified the stolen Kia from New Hampshire. The vehicle failed to stop for law enforcement, and a car chase ensued, ending when the Kia was found abandoned in the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex.

    Police established a perimeter and were searching for the suspect when, about an hour later, another vehicle was reported stolen from the area, a red Pontiac Vibe. Upper Darby Township police located that car, and another pursuit began, ending when the Vibe crashed into a telephone pole.

    The operator was taken into custody and identified as Simpson. He was being evaluated at a hospital Sunday night in Pennsylvania.

    Vermont Commissioner of Public Safety Thomas D. Anderson and Vermont State Police director Col. Matthew T. Birmingham extend their thanks and appreciation to the local, state and federal law-enforcement partners who worked tirelessly across multiple jurisdictions to pursue and ultimately arrest this violent, dangerous suspect.   

    Further updates on the case will be released by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Vermont.

Vermont News can be contacted at vermontnews802@gmail.com

Comments 3

Download the DailyUV app today!