For years we have had smoke detectors in our home. We have had hard-wired ionization detectors. We have a CO detector plugged into an outlet.
We recently learned that the ionization detectors are designed for flame recognition, but now a new (to us) technology has joined the lineup of choices: Photoelectric detectors.
Photoelectric detectors are designed for smoke recognition, and might just give you an edge on a few extra life-saving moments if you have a smoky fire.
We bought some in October. Installed in the basement, and on the main living level of the house.
Because we already had the ionization version, we only chose to buy the straight photoelectric version as the second option. However, smoke detectors do come in various configurations. You can get dual smoke/carbon monoxide ones as well.
We learned that it's not only the batteries that have a life expectancy. The units themselves have a 10-year life span, and should be replaced. (We learned that one of ours has 3 years left, and one has 7.)
Not only that, but our still-working carbon monoxide detector was well over 10 years old, and due to be replaced. Done. Check.
The new photoelectric detectors have a 10-year sealed battery. No battery replacement needed, but you then do need to replace the unit.
That brings me to today. One of the brand new photoelectric detectors started beeping. No smoke. No fire. Called the non-emergency # for Hartford Fire Dept: 802-295-3232 and two very helpful firefighters came and checked it out: defective unit. Indeed, I had bought too many, so they replaced the defective one. So far, no beeps!
While here they did a carbon monoxide test, with straight "zero" counts throughout. Whew.
Many thanks to Firefighters Christian Henault and Mitch White!