Leftover Halloween candy?
Let me introduce you to peanut butter cup cupcakes
What kind of Halloween candy shopper are you? Do you buy the kinds you love so you can put some aside for yourself? (I do!)
Whatever your shopping habits or volume of trick-or-treaters, you may find yourself with some extra candy hanging around sometime in the next couple sugar-laden months. Morph that candy into some cupcakes!
What you need:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Chopped pecans
- Chopped peanut butter cups
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
What to do:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, water, eggs, peanut butter, vanilla, and butter until smooth. If using a mixer, start on low and watch out for that thick peanut butter so it doesn't go airborne.
- Pour about half of the batter into separate bowl. Add cocoa powder and mix until blended. Again, if using a hand blender, watch our for flying cocoa! If it looks too dry, add a tablespoon of water and mix.
- Spoon a small amount of peanut butter batter into each muffin cup. Top with a small amount of chocolate batter. Top again with peanut butter batter.
- Take a knife, toothpick, maybe your finger, and gently swirl the two batters together. Careful; don't over-mix! One loop around should suffice.
- Top each with several pieces of chopped peanut butter cups and pecans, gently pushing them down into the batter.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Check for doneness by gently pushing on the top of each cupcake. If it springs back, you're ready to eat!
- For the glaze, mix the peanut butter and milk until smooth. Slowly stir in the powdered sugar until blended. Add small amounts of milk or powdered sugar to thicken or thin the glaze.
- Spoon glaze over cupcakes. Top with more candy or nuts, as desired.
Put the candy in the fridge first to make it easier to chop.
Don't have peanut butter cups? Use some Snickers, Milky Way, or Kit Kat.
Not a peanut butter fan? Leave out the peanut butter! Follow the regular directions for the cake mix. Take half the batter and mix in some shredded coconut. Combine batters as directed above. Top with chopped Almond Joys or Mounds, and extra shredded coconut.
What candy do you have left?