A savory dish you can make your own
It’s Sunday afternoon, one day before my CSA pickup. I’m on a quest to “clean out” and use the food I have.
Upon inspection of my fridge, I see a container of cooked white sushi rice which needs to be used now, or soon trashed. Fried rice!
What else do I have? Ideally, I want a meat and some veggies. I have some imitation crab inadvertently purchased by another family member for seafood chowder (it was NOT going in there) and mixed frozen veggies (some version of fried rice is often cooked in my house).
I’m set. I have a base to work with.
Tip: Don’t stress if you don’t have everything here. Think of fried rice like a patchwork quilt- use what you have, and you’ll end up with a great finished product. If you have rice and some version of soy sauce just build from there!
Ingredients I used:
* = CSA
3 cups white sushi rice, cooked and chilled
4 oz of imitation crabmeat, chopped (use real crabmeat if you can)
2 cups of frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn, green beans, and lima beans. I would pick out the lima beans if I was feeling motivated. That’s just weird in fried rice. I’m just not that motivated)
* 3 garlic scapes, diced (I was cleaning out the fridge, remember?)
* 1 yellow pepper, diced
* 2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup raisins, soaked in warm water and drained
Soy sauce (I actually only had a little Tamara left so I used Ponzu for the rest. LOVE Ponzu)
Curry powder, mild, to taste. (~ 3 Tbsp)
Onion powder (1 tsp)
Parsley (fresh if you have it. I used all mine from the CSA already so dried it was) (1 tsp)
- Chop and prep veggies and other ingredients.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or wok slowly to a medium heat.
- Add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan. If your pan is hot enough it should thin quickly and run like little rivers over the pan.
- Add garlic scapes to pan and cook for one minute.
- Add yellow pepper to the pan and cook for one minute.
- Move veggies to the edges of the pan (if big enough) or remove to a bowl.
- Add more oil if needed. Pour beaten eggs in to the pan, quickly stirring to scramble. Cook until just set and remove, adding to the bowl.
- Add your frozen veggies, raisins, and crabmeat to the pan. If using real crabmeat, I would wait and add it at the very end as it’s so delicate.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove and add to the bowl, or push to the sides of your wok.
- Add more oil if needed. Add cooked rice to the pan, breaking up large chunks.
- Sprinkle curry powder, onion powder, and parsley over the rice.
- Shake soy sauce over rice until well coated.
- Stir rice quickly, continuing to break up rice to ensure it is evenly coated. Taste. Add more soy sauce or curry to flavor to your liking.
- Add all previously cooked items back to the pan. Stirring to mix.
- (If you have real crabmeat, add it now and gently fold in).
- Top with cashews.
What's your favorite fried rice?