Worth Knowing: How to register to vote in New Hampshire in the upcoming November 6 elections

Do you live in New Hampshire? Are you registered to vote? It's time. Every vote counts and the November 6 elections are fast approaching. So here's how:

Voter Eligibility in New Hampshire

To register to vote in New Hampshire, you must be:

  • A United States citizen.
  • At least 18 years old by the next election.
  • A resident of the state of New Hampshire.

You can only obtain a voter registration card in the city or town where you live, though there is no minimum amount of time you must have been a resident of that town or ward to be eligible to register.

How to Register to Vote in New Hampshire

There are several ways that you can register to vote in the state of New Hampshire.

  • At the city or town clerk's office. You'll be required to provide proof of domicile, citizenship, and age.
  • At your community's Supervisors of the Checklist. The supervisors meet 6 to 13 days before each election. Contact your local clerk for meeting details.
  • At your polling place. This will be done on the day of the election and you will also be required to provide proof of domicile, citizenship, and age.

When you register, you will need to provide documents as proof of:

  • Residency.
  • Identity.
  • Age.
If you are unsure of your voter registration status, you can check your registration details online with the State of New Hampshire Voter Information Look-up. You will need to enter your: (1) Town or city of residence; (2) date of birth; AND (3) first and last name.
Advertisement: Content continues below...

Military & Overseas Voter Registration

The Federal Voting Assistance Program allows residents who are in the U.S. military or living overseas to register to vote AND vote in an upcoming election using the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) (Form 76).

The first time you submit the FPCA, it also serves as your voter registration.

You'll then need to request ballots for future elections or resubmit the application if your location or other details change.

FPCA forms are available:

  • Online.
  • By e-mail.
  • By fax.
  • By mail.

To request an application or complete it online, go to the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

NOTE: All other eligible voters wishing to vote on an absentee ballot can register using the standard procedures above.

Voter Name or Address Changes

You can change your name and address (if you have moved within the same ward) at:

  • The Supervisors of the Checklist scheduled meeting.
  • Your town or city clerk's office at least 6 to 13 days prior to an election.
  • At the polling place on Election Day with the Supervisors of the Checklist.

If you have moved to a new town or ward, you must re-register to vote. See the section “Register to Vote in New Hampshire" above for more information.

NH Voter ID Law

You are required to present identification at the polling place on Election Day. The most common forms of ID that are accepted are:

  • A driver's license from any state or the federal government.
  • An ID card from the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or other state DMV.
  • Your U.S. passport.
  • Your U.S. military ID.

Download the State of New Hampshire Voter ID Law Explanatory Document for a complete list of accepted documents and other important information.

If you do not have identification, you can:


Yes! The most important component of the voter registration process for college students is proving their residency or domicile. There are many types of documents that will satisfy this requirement:   

  • A New Hampshire driver’s license or non-driver ID showing your current address in the town or city you will be voting in.    
  • A document from the school that you attend, showing that you live in campus housing.  A document issued by the school that has your name and the address where you live satisfies the requirement.  Many colleges and universities provide students with satisfactory documents already.   
  • A note signed by a school official, including a Resident Assistant or other person with supervisory responsibility for your dorm satisfies the requirement under RSA 654:1, I-a.    
  • A rental agreement, lease, or similar document that shows your name and the address of your domicile.  The document must show that you are domiciled at the address on Election Day.    
  • A document showing that you own the place you are domiciled at, such as a deed, property tax bill, or other similar document that has your name and address.   
  • A voter photo ID issued by the NH Division of Motor Vehicles at no cost to you.  To obtain a photo ID card, that can only be used for voting purposes, ask your town or city clerk or the Secretary of State’s office for a voucher and present it to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  Information on the documents you will need to present to the DMV is available here: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency-uscitizen-non-compliant.pdf   
  • Any state or federal tax form, other government form, or government issued identification that shows your name and your domicile address.   
  • Any form from the US Post Office showing your name and the physical address where you are domiciled (not a P.O. box).  The confirmation you received by e-mail or US mail when you reported your new address to the Post Office satisfies the requirement.   
  • A public utility bill, such as such as an electric, telephone, water, gas, or other utility bill, with your name and address on it.   
  • A note from the person who owns, leases, rents, or manages/supervises the property where you are domiciled, confirming that you live there, which could include a family member or roommate.  Any document containing the information is sufficient provided that in includes the statement that “providing false information is a violation of New Hampshire law under penalty of voting fraud.”  The “Confirmation of Domicile” form available at this link is satisfactory proof of domicile. (Confirmation of Domicile Form).   

What if you don't have proof of domicile?

If you do NOT have proof of domicile when you appear at the clerk's office to register (30 days or less prior to any election) OR you appear to register at the polls you WILL be allowed to register and to vote; however, if you acknowledge possessing proof of domicile that you did not bring when registering you will be required to submit proof of your domicile to the clerk at a later date.  If you do not possess proof of having taken an action to carry out your intent to establish domicile, you WILL be allowed to register and to vote if you sign an affidavit; election officials will take steps to verify your domicile after the election, which may include sending you mail. Please click here for more information.

Questions? Call your City or Town Clerk.

You're reading Worth Knowing, the place to go to find news about Upper Valley businesses, organizations and people, as well things that are just worth knowing. If you have news that's worth knowing, email us at worthknowingduv@gmail.com and we'll get the word out for you. To subscribe to Worth Knowing, go here.


Download the DailyUV app today!