Worth Knowing: 5 Upper Valley churches co-hosting weekend of events with New Jersey Baptist church
A group of Upper Valley churches will host an extraordinary weekend of fellowship and joy beginning Friday, September 14 and culminating in a spirit-filled ONE! Worship Service at noon on Sunday, September 16, at Lyme, NH, Congregational Church.
The Upper Valley Parish, consisting of Church of Christ at Dartmouth College, First Congregational Church in Thetford, Lyme Congregational Church, and Norwich Congregational Church, along with First Baptist Church of Lyme, are welcoming 75 members of the congregation of Community Baptist Church of Englewood, NJ, to the Upper Valley, led by the Rev. Dr. Lester W. Taylor Jr. The weekend’s events are one outcome of a visit made by members of Lyme Congregational Church (LCC) to several predominately African-American churches in the New York City area two years ago.
Pastor Amy Hayden of LCC described the motivation for the upcoming events: “We may come from different backgrounds, speak in our own ways, and have various skin colors and ethnicities, but we have an opportunity to create unity. We can come together as One Body with all its different parts; it is One Spirit that calls us and we can have One Hope that collects us. I look forward to the ways that these events will help us grow in our faith and make efforts toward peace.”
All events are interdenominational, intergenerational and interracial. All are welcome.
Overview of the weekend:
Friday, September 14
- 2:00 pm - Welcome and Information Tent on Lyme Common The tent will remain a center of information, resources, and some surprises for visitors throughout the weekend.
- 6:00 pm - Welcome Dinner at Dowds’ Inn in Lyme Please contact Lyme Congregational Church Office or go online at lymeconregationalchurch.org to reserve your space by September 10. All are welcome with an advance reservation, regardless of ability to pay.
Friday, September 15
- Mid-morning through afternoon - Activities Hosted by Our Church Communities A list of activities and times will be at the Welcome Tent on Lyme Common and at all hosting churches.
- 2:00-4:00 pm - Choir Rehearsal at Lyme Congregational Church in preparation for Sunday's noon worship service. All are welcome to join or just come and listen and sing along.
- 5:30 pm - ONE! Big Pot Luck Dinner at Church of Christ at Dartmouth College (CCDC), Hanover, NH
Sunday, September 16
- Regular Morning Worship at Host Churches 9:30 am at Lyme Congregational Church and First Baptist Church of Lyme
- 10:00 am at Church of Christ at Dartmouth College, Norwich Congregational Church, and First Congregational Church in Thetford.
- 10:30 am - Brunch for Visitors at Lyme Congregational Church Noon - ONE! Big Worship Service at Lyme Congregational Church All of our congregations will join in a special service, created by our pastors working together - - a blend of worship experiences, with opportunities to make music, pray, share our gratitude, and glorify God together in new ways. Rev. Dr. Lester W. Taylor Jr. from CBC will serve as preacher.
You're reading Worth Knowing, the place to go to find news about Upper Valley businesses, organizations and people, as well things that are just worth knowing. If you have news that's worth knowing, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get the word out for you. To subscribe to Worth Knowing, go here.