Want to help chart(er) Hartford's future? Here's your chance
Hartford residents who want to help set the course for their community's future will get another chance as the town seeks applicants for its 5th Charter Commission Review Committee.
In an announcement Wednesday, town officials say the committee will consist of seven members: one Selectboard member, one School board member and five citizen volunteers appointed by those two bodies.
The committee will work to present a proposed revision of the charter by Nov. 30 to the two elected bodies. The list of possible topics includes:
- Petition language
- Town manager’s duties/responsibilities/authorities
- Elected officials section cleanup
- Commissions/committee section cleanup
- Clerk section cleanup
- Recall vote process
- Board member absence clarification
- Quorum language
- Clean up internal conflicts
- Agreement with open meeting law and state statute
- Clarify floor meeting and Australian ballot topics
- Clarify budget revote process
- Clarify tied election process
- Process for unilateral charter amendment for matters affecting only the school or town.
The application deadline is Sept. 7. For more information and to submit an application, click here.