CFD Called to Scene of Barn Ceiling Fire

Items Too Close to Wood-Fire Furnace Found to be Cause

The Claremont Fire Department responded to a reported barn fire located at 114 Sugar River Drive this Monday morning. The call was reported to the Claremont Safety Services Dispatch Center at 9:40 a.m. According to Claremont Fire Chief Bryan Burr, “The initial report from the first arriving Claremont Fire Department units, including Car 1 and  Engines 1, 2 and 3, was light smoke conditions coming from the exterior of the barn. The fire was isolated to the interior ceiling. The fire was quickly extinguished but required extensive overhaul and removal of ceiling panels to find and extinguish deep seated embers.” 

Advertisement: Content continues below...

The fire was reported under control at 10:05 a.m., and all units were released from the scene at 11:46 a.m. The fire was accidental in nature and caused by combustibles and flammables stored too close to a wood-fired furnace which was being used to provide heat to the building, said Burr.    

The following fire departments sent mutual aid: Newport Engine to the scene and a Ladder to cover the station; the Cornish Fire Department also sent an Engine to cover the station. Golden Cross Ambulance responded to the scene along with multiple Claremont Police units to provide traffic control along the intersection of Case Hill Road and Sugar River Drive.

One Claremont fire fighter was sent to Valley Regional Hospital to be evaluated for a minor injury. 


Download the DailyUV app today!