UPDATE: Threat to Hanover High School appears to have come from outside the Upper Valley

Police will continue to maintain a presence at HHS for foreseeable future

HANOVER, NH - A potential threat to several Hanover High School students that was made over social media prompted a precautionary lockdown inside the building on Tuesday morning and launched an investigation by police that is on-going.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    In a press release issued shortly after 9 a.m., Hanover Police Chief Charles Dennis said the threat "included the use of a firearm but has not identified specific persons or times."

    In an update released mid-afternoon, Hanover detectives said that "after a rigorous day of investigation into this matter the Hanover Police Department believes several of the leads are coming to a direct 'point of interest.'  At this time we are able to release that this point of interest is not in the immediate area of the Upper Valley."

    "Hanover High and its staff have worked with us throughout this situation.  HHS had a direct police presence the entire day, without incident, and will continue to do so until further notice," the release said, adding, "Although the investigation is on-going, the Hanover Police Department wants community members to know it is diligently working with its law enforcement partners to ensure a safe environment for our children, staff and community members."

    Police became aware of the threat, which appeared on an Instagram page apparently created specifically for the purpose of implying a shooting threat to HHS,  just before 6:30 a.m. and the chief said his department is "working cooperatively with the Hanover High School and SAU #70" to address it, asking that "if anyone witnessed or has information regarding this incident, please contact Captain Mark Bodanza of the Hanover Police Department at (603) 643-2222.

    School officials sent an automated phone message to parents explaining that the school had been locked down and security on the campus was being heightened.

    Hanover High's students were in the news just eleven days ago when they staged a walkout and a march through the downtown urging lawmakers to make school safety a priority in the wake of the tragic shooting that took the lives of 17 students last month in Parkland, Florida.

Vermont News can be contacted at vermontnews802@gmail.com

Comments 2

Download the DailyUV app today!