Colorful. Sublime. Warming for the Season
ROASTED EGGPLANT WITH BUTTERMILK SAUCE & POMEGRANATE
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 medium or 8 small eggplants
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pomegranate
For the sauce:
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh chives or other fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the eggplants in half lengthways, cutting straight through the green stalk. Leave the stalk intact. Use a small sharp knife to make three or four parallel incisions on the cut side of each eggplant half, without cutting through to the skin. Repeat at a 45-degree angle to get diamond-shaped patterns.
- Place the eggplant halves, cut-side up, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush them with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast eggplant halves for 35 to 40 minutes, at which point the flesh should be soft, flavorful and nicely browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down completely.
- While the eggplants are in the oven, cut the pomegranate in half horizontally.* Working over a bowl, remove all the seeds. Discard skin and membrane.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To serve, spoon the sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and chives or other fresh herbs.