'Who' interviews made easy
Behind every face at every business, there is a story unlike any other. Telling those stories is easy, fun -- and effective, because we’re all curious about the people we meet.
Here are five questions you can ask any business owner. Sending them by email makes your job easy -- copy and paste! -- but the owner may forget to answer. If you catch them in a quiet moment, just record them on your phone. (Always ask for permission before recording a conversation.)
- What did you do before starting your business?
- What appealed to you about taking the leap?
- What scared you most about it?
- What do you remember about your first day?
- What’s the most important thing you have learned?
- What brought you to the area?
- What’s the best thing about living here?
- If you had a visitor from far away, what’s the first place you’d take them?
- It’s your day off. What are you going to do?
- What did you do before working here?
- What’s one secret to doing your job well?
- What question are you asked most often? And what’s the answer?
- What’s your favorite part of the job?
- What’s one thing about your job that would surprise people?
- What’s the hardest thing about your job to get right?