19 Family-Friendly Indoor Activities in the Upper Valley
Indoor fun for the frigid days ahead!
Saying it's cold outside is an understatement. It's hard to keep kids entertained and occupied when you have to spend days on end indoors! I've gathered up some of our favorite indoor activities in the Upper Valley (and a little beyond) to help you get out of your house. Stay warm friends!
Paid Indoor Activities
- Montshire Museum of Science (Norwich, VT) - The Montshire is a perfect place to explore, learn and play on a cold day.
- Great View Rollerskating (Enfield, NH) - Music, lights and, of course, skating!
- Upper Valley Aquatic Center (White River Junction, VT) - The swimming here is great. There's a children's play area, a water slide, lazy river and more to enjoy.
- Green Mountain Rock Climbing Centers (Quechee, VT) - Burn some energy climbing the walls at GMRCC.
- Vermont Institute of Natural Science (Quechee, VT) - VINS may seem like an outdoor center, but there is a room with an indoor play structure and a few indoor exhibits. Bundle up for the walk to the exhibits though.
- Billings Farm & Museum (Woodstock, VT) - Another place that may strike you as an outdoor activity, Billings also has plenty of indoor options!
- Tip Top Pottery (White River Junction, VT) - Get creative with DIY painted pottery!
- Community Arts Open Studio (Lebanon, NH) - Get your creative juices flowing with the art supplies at the AVA gallery! Times on Friday (for toddlers) and Saturday (for older kids), $5/artist.
- Nugget Theaters (Hanover, NH) - Catch the latest show at this historic theater.
- Entertainment Cinemas (Lebanon, NH) - Another place to watch the newest movie!
- Meyer Maple Lanes (Claremont, NH) - Warm up with some bowling.
- Ziggy's Pizza (West Lebanon, NH) - Ziggy's has fun arcade games in the back to keep kids entertained while you eat in peace!
- Family Fun Zone Arcade + Bounce House (Claremont, NH) - Younger kids can explore several bounce houses while the older kids enjoy the arcade games. $10/person
- Hanover Bounce House (Hanover, NH) - The bounce house is open on Mondays and Thursdays from 10:30am - 2:30pm for children 0 - kinder age.
- Wendell A. Barwood Arena (White River Junction, VT) - Public skating is open on Saturdays and Sundays. There are also a few special events throughout the season.
FREE Indoor Activities
- The Life Sciences Greenhouse (Hanover, NH) - Pretend your somewhere tropical and enjoy the beautiful plants and the warm temperatures inside the Life Sciences Greenhouse at Dartmouth.
- The Family Place Playgroups (Norwich, VT) - Open to all children birth to age 5 on Mondays and Fridays. This is a great way to make new friends and play in a safe, warm place. There is also a playgroup held in South Royalton on Wednesdays.
- Winter Astronomical Public Observing (Hanover, NH) - Visit the Shattuck observatory for a free viewing of the sky from 8-10 PM.
- Library Story Times (various towns in the Upper Valley) - Nearly every library in the Upper Valley offers a story time. Some even include crafts and snacks! Two popular ones are at the Kilton Library (Lebanon, NH) and the Hartford Library (White River Junction, VT).
Sign up HERE to receive email updates on Upper Valley events and activities!