Our Interesting and Popular Posts From 2017
I've been a copywriter at our Co-op for close to 20 years now, and a writer in general for as long as I can remember.
I wrote my first epic work of literature when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. (It must have been two pages long!) It told the tale of an Anglo-Saxon warrior, one with tall, black boots, a square chin, and copious muscles. He sailed thundering seas, scaled imposing peaks, rescued fair maidens, disposed of mighty dragons, used words like “nay” and “thoust” a lot, and generally acted heroic and Anglo-Saxony. The tale was inspired by Tolkien, with a bit of Beowulf thrown in. Not exactly original, but we all stand on the shoulders of giants.
Now I mostly write about small Upper Valley family farms, tenacious little fair-trade cooperatives in Mexico and Africa, and so on. Talk about giants. These people are amazing, and they make my job a really great gig. I get to talk to a lot of incredible people who have dedicated their lives to noble things. Then I share their stories with the world.
Before this, I was a journalist. I wrote for daily newspapers and the Associated Press. I never imagined I'd see a day when any critical or unflattering news, no matter how well-reported, would be attacked as "fake." It's a sad and scary time, but in a way, it makes me feel ever better about our little bloggy corner of the internet. It reminds me that the stories we tell are important. If nothing else, our education and outreach work is an alternative to all the latest salacious celebrity gossip, and that's a good thing.
So thanks to all our bloggers and readers for another great year. Our Co-op published around 200 posts this year. Content was varied: recipes, news, profiles, recalls, tips, features, general food geekery, et cetera.
In case you missed any of it, below is a handful of interesting and popular posts we published on our blog in 2017, in no particular order. We look forward to sharing more stories with you in the year to come.
- Can It
- Organic Before Organic Was Cool
- Vermont Passes Ambitious Farm-to-School Bill
- What I Wish Everyone Knew About Co-op Membership and Recalls
- I'm the New Manager of the Lebanon Co-op
- How Your Coffee Choice May Save Coffee Growers
- What Just Happened With Organics?
- The Awful Truth About E-Waste and What You Can Do
- Our At-Will Wording Is Going Away. We're Glad to See It Go
- This New Lease Will Preserve Our Home At Centerra
- On Transparency
- What's the Healthiest Bread to Eat?
- How Will You Take Action?
- Did You Know That NH Almost Voted to Make 17,000 Families Ineligible for SNAP Benefits?
- Chemicals In Your Mac & Cheese?
- Long Live Positivity
- Avocado Seeks Human for Quiet Meals Together and Potential Long-Term Relationship
- What Food Companies Won't Tell You About This Popular Claim
- They Got Married in the Produce Department
- Why Everyone is Talking About LaRiojana Cooperative Wine
- To the Person I Overheard: the Guy Talking to You Was Wrong
- The FDA Just Quietly Put the Breaks On This
- The Government Won't Ban This Awful Pesticide. Here Are the Local Farms Who Won't Use It
- A Board Member's Election Experience
- The Co-op Vision
NOURISH. CULTIVATE. COOPERATE.