Grand Opening of the Quechee Club
Landowners’ Meeting Weekend
As bright sunshine bathed the faces of several hundred spectators, Wendell Cook’s Show Band struck up a brassy rendition of the national anthem. At the same time, Walter French, Quechee’s oldest resident, raised an American flag against a brilliant blue sky. Then, after a few words, L. John Davidson cut the ribbon, and the Quechee Club had officially opened.
It was May 18, little more than a year after the Club’s groundbreaking ceremony, and upwards of 600 landowners and their families were in Quechee for the Annual Meeting of the Quechee Lakes Landowners’ Association. As the day passed, nearly all of them tried out exercise equipment, stopped for a drink on the Club’s 5000-square-foot sun deck, or sampled the luncheon menu, and those who did appeared pleased.
The landowners’ enthusiasm for their new Club reflected the fact that for many, the structure had been only a promise when they first purchased property at Quechee Lakes. Now it was real, tangible, and in full operation. In his introductory statement at the Grand Opening ceremony that morning, Quechee Lakes General Manager Al Moulton called it “the most important milestone yet” in the development of Quechee Lakes.
Its total cost estimate at $1.2 million, the Quechee Club complex includes both indoor and outdoor swimming pools; saunas; an exercise room; squash courts; card and billiard rooms; a bar; and a 192-seat dining room opening onto the sun deck, which in turn, fronts Quechee Lakes’ 18-hole championship golf course overlooking the Ottauquechee River.
The 37,000-square-foot structure was designed by Environmental Systems Organization, Inc., of Brookline, Massachusetts. Its exterior siding is rough-sawn pine, stained an earth brown to blend with the Club’s natural surroundings. Inside, the massive framework of timbers links the building’s architectural style to traditional barn construction.
The general contractor for the Quechee Club was Trumbull-Nelson Construction Company of Hanover, New Hampshire.
Editor’s Note: This is an excerpt from the Spring 1975 issue of The Quechee Times. These are just a few of the road names defined. Stay tuned for the next Memory Lane page in the Fall ’17 issue to see if your road name is mentioned!
Historic Significance of New Road Names
Maps showing the new names are now available from the Public Relations Department, Quechee Lakes Corporation. Readers are invited to stop in or write for a copy.
James Angell: Born in Burlington, president of Yale University and later University of Vermont.
Chester Arthur: Generally accepted that he was born in 1830 in North Fairfield. Became a New York attorney and politician and was elected US vice president in 1880. Assassination of Garfield made Arthur president in 1881.
Hiram Atkins: Publisher and editor of newspapers in North Bennington, Bellows Falls, and Montpelier.
Remember Baker: Land speculator, leader in the dispute with New York, captain in the Green Mountain Boys, and cousin of the Allens.
Lyman Batcheller: With his sons owned a forge in Wallingford. Their pitchforks became famous throughout the US and Europe.
Jacob Bayley: Soldier, farmer, founder of Newbury, and one of early Vermont’s most powerful and influential men.