Brown Sugar & Blueberry Scones
Perfect for Blueberry Season
It's blueberry season, finally. Here's a great breakfast treat to make and enjoy right now.
Yield: 12 Scones
* 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus a little more for shaping the dough
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ¼ cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 8 tablespoons (one stick) butter, cold and cut into small pieces
* 2 large eggs
* ¼ cup buttermilk
* ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup fresh blueberries, picked over, rinsed and towel dried
1. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the dry ingredients. The mixture should have the texture of cornmeal.
2. In mixing cup or small bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir this into the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the blueberries.
3. Place a bit of flour on a clean work surface. Turn the dough out onto the flour and shape it into a rectangle, about 6 x 8-inches, and 1-inch thick. Wrap the rectangle tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5. Remove the dough from the saran wrap. Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut the dough in half, on a diagonal, then cut each half into 6 triangles. Place the triangles on the prepared cookie sheet.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the tops are golden and the scones are puffed.
7. Serve warm.
1. If blueberries are not in season, substitute any fresh berry you like.