First Responders save overdosing heroin user in Wilder
Frantic effort Monday night brings man back from the brink
WILDER, VT - An unidentified Wilder man who appeared to have overdosed on heroin was saved by firefighters and police late Monday night.
First responders received a report of an unconscious person down in a residence on Christian Street around 9:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in his late 20's barely breathing with evidence at the scene suggesting it was a heroin overdose, Hartford Police explained Tuesday.
The first Hartford officer on the scene was Eric Clifford, who just returned to work this past week after having been knocked unconscious on the job back on June 9th when a suspect who had allegedly been smoking marijuana and LSD resisted being arrested following a routine traffic stop.
Clifford, other police officers, and arriving Hartford Ambulance personnel rolled the victim over and applied Narcan before the victim began breathing again. Several other people were in the apartment with the victim before the overdose occurred and a witness said the man was alert and able to talk with medical personnel as he left the residence for the ambulance ride to the hospital.
Monday night's overdose incident follows news from neighboring Lebanon that the death of the 39-year-old Lebanon resident over the weekend at a residence in the downtown appears to be the result of a "probable overdose" of narcotics.
Hartford Police Major Brad Vail said Tuesday that the timing of the latest scare was especially apt since representatives of the Vermont Department of Health had just come to the Hartford Police Department last Wednesday and conducted the first of two field training sessions for HPD officers on how to use Narcan. Following a final round of training tomorrow those Hartford officers will be certified to carry Narcan with them on patrol to further speed up the response time to critical incidents involving opiate users.
Vermont News can be contacted at email@example.com