Windsor beating hospitalizes wheelchair-using roommate

Submitted 2 years ago
Created by
Eric Francis

Accused has a history of violent assault convictions

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT - A Windsor man with a violent criminal record was ordered held without bail this week after he allegedly beat up his disabled roommate, knocking out a half-dozen teeth and hospitalizing the man with serious facial injuries.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    Djuan “Ike” Smith, 48, pleaded innocent to a single felony count of first degree aggravated domestic assault and was ordered returned to the Springfield jail to await trial following his arrest and arraignment Wednesday afternoon at the Windsor County Courthouse in downtown White River Junction.

    Windsor Police Officer Kevin Blanchard wrote in an affidavit filed with the court that he and other officers responded to an apartment on Central Street mid-afternoon on Monday, June 12th for a reported disturbance.

    Blanchard said he was familiar with the residence because he’d been called there before to resolve a “heated dispute” between roommates Smith and John Skevnick, 61, who gets around with the aid of a cane and sometimes a wheelchair.

    Police found Skevnick in “significant pain” slumped in a chair on a stairway landing “moaning with his face covered in a large amount of blood that appeared to be coming from his mouth and nose,” Officer Blanchard recalled, adding that Skevnick’s eyes were nearly swollen shut from the blows he had sustained.

    A neighbor told police that he and the two men had been drinking in Skevnick’s apartment earlier in the afternoon when “Smith began attempting to start an argument,” causing the neighbor to leave for his own apartment after which he said he “heard shouting and commotion and observed Smith exit the apartment (with) blood on his left pant leg.”

    A Windsor ambulance crew took Skevnick to Mount Ascutney Hospital where he was initially treated before being transferred to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

    Blanchard said he conducted a bedside interview at DHMC where Skevnick signed a sworn statement saying that Smith, who had been sharing his apartment since December, allegedly became infuriated after Skevnick said he wanted him to move out.

    In his own written statement to police, Smith wrote that he initially ignored Skevnick but then the older man allegedly punched him in the nose, knocking Smith down before standing over him delivering additional punches “a few times.”

    “I then swung with a closed fist and punched (Skevnick) in the side of the face an unknown number of times.  He fell down on the ground,” Smith wrote on the signed statement form, “I then hit him approximately three more times in the face.  He fell back.  I then went to leave.”

    Smith faces a maximum potential penalty of up to 15 years in prison if he were to be convicted of the current felony charge pending against him.

    Back in 2003, Smith was convicted of both simple assault against his housemate at the time and of violating his probation from a previous 2001 aggravated assault conviction.  As a result, Smith’s probation was revoked and he received an 8-to-12 month sentence.

    That 2003 conviction stemmed from an incident in which Smith arranged to get a ride from his housemate so that Smith could go check in with his probation officer before punching out his housemate later in the evening – which promptly got him arrested for violating his probation.

    Windsor Police said their investigation into that incident began when Christopher Cennamo, who was 21 years old at the time, called them saying he’d just gotten back from the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center where he’d received three stitches to an open laceration under his eye because Smith had hit him “seven or eight times” the night before.

    “I don’t understand.  I thought we were friends,” Cennamo told Officer Robert North.

    Cennamo said he had been staying with Smith for approximately two months and he was “taken completely off guard” when, after he got up to let Smith into the house, Smith became, “enraged because the door was locked when he came home,” North wrote.

    At his initial arraignment for that simple assault, Smith’s court-appointed public defender, Rebecca Cummings, noted that during the year-and-a-half Smith was incarcerated for the earlier aggravated assault he had completed the Department of Correction’s main anger management course, known as the “cognitive self-change program.”


Djuan "Ike" Smith, 48, of Windsor (seen in a 2007 file photo) has been ordered held without bail

Vermont News can be contacted at


Download the DailyUV app today!