Celebrate National Trails Day in Woodstock this Saturday
This Saturday its time to head to the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park in Woodstock and hit the trails for some fun, festivities and food. Let's add in an "F" for FREE - yes, this annual event is free and open to the public, and while I am on an alliterative kick, did I mention it is Family-friendly?
National Trails Day celebrations take place all over the country as a way to get people outside enjoying the beauty of our public lands. MBR is the perfect place and has hosted events for the past 8 years. Their way to celebrate is called Trek to Taste, because you will hike and try some delicious food as well as enjoy entertainment and fun for all ages!
I've put together a overview of all the goings on, but if you'd like more information please call the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Park at 802.457.3368 extension 222.
Here's are some highlights of the day:
- Guided Family Chipmunk Quest 1 mile round trip —EASY. Ending at the ArtisTree and VINS activity hub.
- Nordic Hut 2.5 miles round trip — MODERATE. Trek to the Nordic Hut hub and enjoy a reward of pizza
- South Peak 4.5 miles round trip — HEARTY. Three hours with stop at the Nordic Hut. Special tastes from local producers at South Peak with Sustainable Woodstock.
A yoga hike involves the environment arouond you to create a unique mind-body experience
10:15 AM Yoga Hike
Enjoy a meditative walk in the woods as you connect with your body with my favorite yoga instructor, Miss Amanda from Inner Lift Yoga in Barnard. FOR ALL LEVELS
Activities at the Forest Center & Under the Big Tent
- Visit with Upper Valley Farm to School Program students
- Check out a stream table with the Ottauquechee Natural Resource Conservation District
- Join a Vital Communities’ Family Chipmunk Quest leaving at 10:30 AM and 12:00 PM
- Become a Junior Ranger
- Visit with the Green Mountain Club, Upper Valley Trails Alliance and the Upper Valley Sierra Club
- Pick up your self-guided Nature Bingo cards
- Make a bicycle-powered smoothie with the Change the World Kids
- Enjoy ice cream social 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Annette Compton Trail Stewardship Award at 2:00 PM
- Music by Vermont Fiddle Orchestra from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
VINS will bring raptors for a true nature experience
Hike or walk on your own to these destinations in the Park
Walk to Art Activities at the Horse Shed Meadow Hub - Less than 1 mile -An easy stroll leads to an art and nature activity hub
- Enjoy art activities with the creative folks from ArtisTree!
- Make some ice cream and sample cheese with the Billings Farm & Museum
- Snack on apples while looking for local wildlife with an "Eye Spy" game
- Get to see a raptor and learn about birds of prey with VINS (Vermont Institute for Natural Science)
- Play a fun bird beak game with the nature experts from VINS
Kids will enjoy fun activities hosted by ArtisTree
2.5 miles round trip
- Warm to wood fired pizza made by the Woodstock Union Middle and High School Farm to School teams, Earth Beat, Locally Grown, 7th grade science class, and Reading Elementary School — with pizza dough from King Arthur Flour and local veggies.
- Check out local food displays, including a fruiting mushroom log
- Join a family-friendly lawn game and kids yoga
Enjoy delicious tastes of wood fired pizza after you work up an appetite on the trails
- Marvel at the view and stay on the watch for local wildlife!
Enjoy the scenery as you take a break at the Pogue
- Sustainable Woodstock has teamed with local farmers and producers to offer gourmet tastings at the scenic overlook on South Peak above the village of Woodstock
Taking a break from the trail to enjoy the view from the peak
- Get your veggie on with local farm products! The market is open until 1:00PM. Head west from the Forest Center on the "Stewardship Trail" and across Hwy 12 to the Mount Tom Farmers Market for farm fresh food selections, local arts & crafts.