The Church of Christ at Dartmouth Destroyed by Fire
The Church of Christ at Dartmouth gathered by Eleazar Wheelock in 1771 was destroyed by fire May 13 1931. The Church of Christ at Dartmouth, currently located at 40 North College St, was originally located on the northwest corner of the Dartmouth Green on Wentworth.
This 1870 image shows the Church of Christ on the Northwest corner of the Dartmouth Green
November 1884 Map showing the Congregational Church and the Dartmouth Green identifed as " Students Playground". The Dartmouth Green was officially called the Dartmouth Green until the Trustees voted on March 17 1906 to name it.
1882 image looking North up North Main St with the Church of Christ on the right
Baker Library Tower under construction rising above Butterfield Museum with Webster Hall on the right and the Church of Christ on the left.
The interior of the Church of Christ after 1889 renovation
May 13 1931 The Church of Christ ablaze
The new Church of Christ at Dartmouth after 1935
Photo credits to Dartmouth College Rauner Library.
The coolest place on campus.
Continued appreciation and respect to the staff at Dartmouth College Rauner Library.
They preserve, protect and make history accessible.