5 Perfect New Hampshire Road Trips to take this Summer!
Explore the state that offers a little bit of everything!
New Hampshire is such a versatile, beautiful state. You have mountains, lakes, rivers, the ocean, etc! It was hard to narrow down the great locations to just five places, but here are some of my favorite road trips to take around New Hampshire! If you're looking specifically for beach trips (in the Upper Valley and along the coast), be sure to check out our Best Beaches article HERE!
- Franconia Notch, Franconia, NH - It's hard to begin to list the numerous activities that could fill up a day in Franconia Notch. As a family with young kids, we've particularly enjoyed the Flume Gorge, scenic drives, cooling off at Echo Lake. You can also explore The Frost Place (the homestead of Robert Frost) or Lost River Gorge. Kids also go crazy for the bear show at Clark's Trading Post. Whether you're looking for an amusement/water park, outdoor hiking or simply a stunning drive, Franconia Notch will not disappoint!
- Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee, Weirs Beach, NH - Weirs Beach offers beaches, a boardwalk, events shopping, dining and more. It sits along the shore of gorgeous Lake Winnipesaukee and is a great starting point for exploring the large lake.
- Portsmouth, NH - This is one of our favorite coastal NH towns. The city is close to plenty of state parks like Odiorne Point State Park and beaches (try New Castle Beach or Wallis Sands State Beach). There is a plethora of history - explore Strawbery Banke to step back in time or walk along the Harbour Trail to see the historic points of downtown Portsmouth. Market Street is the perfect spot to grab something to eat, browse some stores and enjoy the original charm of the city.
- Squam Lake, Holderness, NH - Explore the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, camp, rent a boat or hike around the lake. There are more than enough activities to fill the day, or even a weekend.
- Mt. Washington, North Conway, NH - Hike, drive, or ride the Cog Railway up to the summit of Mount Washington. However you choose to get to the top, you will enjoy spectacular scenery along the way. You can explore the Mount Washington State Park after your trek to the top. Be sure to bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
Mount Washington Cog Railway
Be sure to read all about our Top 5 Vermont Road Trip Destinations HERE!
Sign up HERE for weekly email updates on Upper Valley events and activities!