Dean’s Auto Break-In Brings Charges for Two

Randolph police station.

More than 30 appearances and filings by various lawyers have been recorded during the last three years.

Two young Bethel men were charged last week in connection with the April 22 break-in at Dean’s Auto, as reported last week in The Herald.

State Tpr. Kelsey Knapp reported that on April 26, police executed a search warrant at a Bethel residence and recovered the many items, mostly electronics, that had been stolen from Dean’s Auto.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

They also discovered Jordan Huntley, 25, in the residence and arrested him on an active arrest warrant from Rutland County.

Also at the home was Jonnie Thompson, 19. Both were cited to appear in Windsor County Court on June 13, on charges of possession of stolen goods.

Huntley was transported to Marble Valley Correction Facility and lodged on $500 bail on his active arrest warrant.

Taser Case v. RPD

Huntley will also be present in in Orange County Superior Court Friday, May 19 at 9:30 a.m., but he will be the plaintiff, not the defendant.

Four years ago, he became the first person ever tased by the Randolph Police. He was wanted at the time on several charges and was subject to a curfew.

Huntley, then 20, was tased after breaking away while being handcuffed and running down the street, whereupon Sgt. David Leighton tased him.

He was injured when he fell on his face, breaking his nose and jaw. He sued the Town of Randolph, Police Chief James Krakowiecki and patrolman Leighton over the incident.

The case has moved very slowly through the court, and survived two motions to dismiss. Now, however, a pre-trial hearing is scheduled on May 19.

Huntley’s attorney, Allison Ericson of Chelsea, told The Herald this week that the hearing will not include the presentation of evidence, as it is just a pre-trial hearing. She said the case is unlikely to be resolved “any time soon.”

More than 30 appearances and filings by various lawyers have been recorded during the last three years. A motion to dismiss the case, ultimately unsuccessful, took a year to decide, Ericson noted.

The town and both officers are being represented by Atty. Joseph A. Farnham.

(This first appeared in the Herald of Randolph May 4, 2017)



Download the DailyUV app today!