Skijoring - A Lost Dartmouth Winter Carnival Event
This Weekend in Hanover and Dartmouth College Winter Carnival History
Since the original idea of a Winter Field Day was conceived by Fred Harris '10 in 1910, and expanded to include additional outdoor and social events in 1911, when the first Dartmouth College "Winter Carnival" was held. A number of these events have been discontinued, Ski jumping, The Outdoor Evening, The Carnival Queen, Keg jumping, Toboggan runs(we will visit these soon) and Skijoring.
Skijoring was introduced as a winter carnival event in 1916 and was an event through the 1934 Winter Carnival.
1916 Dartmouth Winter Carnival Skijoring up North Main Street
1920 Winter Carnival on East Wheelock St. Wilson Hall and Bissell Hall visible
1920 Winter Carnival Turning off North Main St onto East Wheelock St. The White Church, Butterfield Museam and Webster Hall visible.
A youthful participant skijoring past the Wheelock Hotel
Skijoring on North Main St nearing the Church of Christ on Wentworth St prior to its destruction by fire.. Sweet SOCKS
Skijoring event being held on the Hanover Country Club
Reed and Bartlett Halls visible in the background. Reed Hall the location of the first medical use of and X-ray would come in handy for some of these competitors
Even back then students walked right into traffic...
Feb 1930 Skijoring in front of Parkhurst Hall, Hubbard and Chandler visible
1932 Skijoring down Tuck Drive. Baker Library and Russell Sage visible
The Last Dartmouth Winter Carnival Skijoring event was held February 10 1934 inside Memorial Stadium
February 10 1934 inside Memorial Stadium
February 10 1934 Skijoring inside Memorial Stadium
February 10 1934 The race course proved difficult with only one competitor completing the course
Henry Doremus '36 on his way to winning the final Dartmouth Winter Carnival Skijoring event, February 10, 1934. Henry Doremus '36 was the only one of eight competitors to complete the race.
Photo Credit Dartmouth College Rauner Library
They truly Preserve and Protect our History