The Golden Corner Destroyed By Fire, Today in Hanover and Dartmouth College History
February 8 1900 Disastrous Fire
Today in Hanover and Dartmouth College History - on February 8, 1900 the F.W. Davison building located at the Northwest corner of North Main Street and West Wheelock Street was destroyed by fire. The Inn corner as known today was referred to as the "Golden Corner" at the time of the fire. This name - probably given by Mr. Davison - certainly fit the structures that graced three of its four corners. In Hanover, this intersection served then and continues to serve now as the literal intersection and border of Town and College. Thankfully, it serves as a bridge between the two linked and interdependent entities.
February 8 1900 The F.W. Davison building ablaze
The A.P. Balch Mansion built in 1892 by noted Railroad magnate. The building was constructed of Oak and Black Walnut for a reported $70,000
The west side of the Dartmouth green. The Davison building on the left housed the businesses of Davison & Ward, L.K. Ward, the DKE Fraternity and twenty-five students.
June 4 1892 Baseball Team Rally passing the Golden Corner
The Davison Building "The Golden Corner" stands in ruin after the fire. This view from the green looks over North Main St, The Dartmouth Senior fence and the wooden split rail fence..
The interior ruins of the Golden Corner
Looking North, Casque and Gauntlet on the right just barely in the photo.
Dartmouth College purchased the land from Mr. Davison and constructed College Hall in 1901 which stands today serving as a commons area and student resource and activities center.
Fall 1901 The New College Hall a Rally sending off the Baseball team to play Brown University. Stage coaches, honestly how cool is that!
Photos Credit to Dartmouth College Rauner Library The most special, coolest place on campus.