Second armed robbery in Wilder! This time it's the Mobil station

Submitted 2 years ago
Created by
Eric Francis

Gas station hit at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night

WILDER, VT - A robber armed with either a handgun, or possibly some type of pellet gun, held up the cashier at the Mobil gas station and convenience store on Hartford Avenue Tuesday evening before making off with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    This latest stick up comes less than three days after another armed robber pointed a gun at a clerk just down Hartford Avenue at the new Cumberland Farms convenience store and gas station which sits within sight of the Mobil station.

    Hartford Police investigators at the scene Tuesday evening said they can't be certain, but their initial impression after hearing the description of the latest robber is that he is not the same person who invaded Cumby's at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning.

    Somewhat ironically, the manager of the Mobil was in the backroom working at the time of the hold up Tuesday evening in large part because of a perceived need to bolster security in the wake of Sunday morning's nearby incident.

Hartford Police Sgt. Tom Lyman walks into the Wilder Mobil following the hold up

    Hartford Police Chief Phillip Kasten said that a more detailed description of the robber will likely be released on Wednesday after police have had a chance to thoroughly review the store's surveillance camera tapes but in the meantime police are comfortable saying that it was a white male, average build, approximately 5-feet 5-inches tall wearing a hoodie and a bandana over his face and brandishing a gun.

    Police were able to tell from tracks in the falling snow that the robber left the Mobil station, which sits directly across from Knight's funeral home, and ran a short distance north up Hartford Avenue before essentially running behind the gas station onto Hanover Street where they got into a waiting getaway vehicle with someone else driving it.

   After a place investigation at the scene that lasted approximately an hour while cruisers from Hartford, Norwich and the Vermont State Police swarmed surrounding streets looking for clues, the station closed early for the evening.

Vermont News can be contacted at



Download the DailyUV app today!