US Marshals nab Grinch in downtown White River Junction

Submitted 2 years ago
Created by
Eric Francis

Suspect told ex-girlfriend he really didn't know why he stole her presents

ENFIELD, NH - A burglar who allegedly used his Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate ID card to work open the door lock on his ex-girlfriend's house in Enfield and steal her and her young son's Christmas presents was arrested Friday in Hartford, Vermont by members of the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force.

Advertisement: Content continues below...

    James Gillette, 36, waived extradition back to face charges in New Hampshire after a special US Marshals team assembled from members of the Hillsborough (NH) Sheriff's Department and the Greenfield (MA) Police Department tracked him down late Friday morning at an apartment building on South Main Street in White River Junction.

James Gillette, 36, has waived extradition in order to face a burglary charge in New Hampshire

    Gillette, who has a criminal record spanning two decades that began with a safecracking conviction in North Carolina and includes three felony burglary convictions in Vermont, was just released from federal prison on November 1st and moved in the next day with an ex-girlfriend in Enfield who'd offered him a temporary place to stay, according to affidavits filed with the Windsor County court.

    Gillette stayed with her for a week and then moved in with other friends in Claremont, according to the court records, which noted that on the morning of December 14th the Enfield Police were called to the ex-girlfriend's residence after she reported that her door had been jimmied open and a plethora of items ranging from her television to her crockpot, the family's Christmas presents and even a half-dozen outfits belonging to her seven-year-old had been taken.

    Enfield Police Detective Anthony Booth wrote in his affidavit that the ex-girlfriend reached Gillette on the phone and said that he admitted having just burglarized her house, allegedly telling her "he was not sure why he did it and that he was having a hard time adjusting" to life outside of prison.  After Gillette offered to return the items, allegedly on the condition that she would not tell police or probation officers what had happened, the woman told police who were already investigating the case that she was comfortable speaking to Gillette face-to-face and she drove herself down to the residence where he was staying in Claremont and recovered the stolen Christmas presents along with most, but not all, of her missing property. 

Vermont News can be contacted at


Download the DailyUV app today!