Quechee Garden Club News
The Quechee Garden Club was active this summer with trips to Fells in New London, New Hampshire, and Kelly Way Gardens in Woodstock, Vermont. August featured a fundraiser for the Garden Club at the home of our new President Rosemarie Scibetta. Over 70 guest savored hors d’oevres in the setting of her backyard garden.
September marked the beginning of the Garden Club’s 2016-2017 program season. A joint meeting with the Woodstock Garden Club highlighted Marta McDowell and her latest book, All the Presidents’ Gardens: From Madison’s Cabbages to Kennedy’s Roses, she captivated her audience with a history of the White House grounds and their gardens from George Washington to present day.
In October, Stephanie Whitney Payne, a local botanical artist and gardener, enlightened us with information about medicinal plants as she displayed her botanical art. Our speaker for November is Michelle Boleski of Petals Floral Arrangements in White River Junction, who will demonstrate floral arrangements for the holidays.
December returns with our annual Village Greens Workshop, as well as a Boxwood Tree Workshop presented by Quechee Garden Club member, Jeanette Veverka. We will also enjoy our annual Holiday Tea on December 15 with a winter fun theme.
The winter/spring meetings include:
- January: “An Unlikely Vineyard,” with Deidre Heekin, co-owner of Woodstock’s Osteria Pane e Salute Restaurant
- February: “Miniature Arrangements in Your Own Containers”
- March: “Fairy Gardening Inside and Out,” with Bobbie Longacre of Longacres Nursery
- April: “Esqua Bog Botanical Wonderland,” with Dean and Susan Greenberg, stewards of the Nature Conservancy
- May: “What We Should Know about Bees,” with speaker Sara Zahendra, Field Biologist, Vermont Center for Eco Studies in Norwich
The Quechee Garden Club meets September through May on the first Thursday of each month at 1 p.m., and, also has various summer activities. New members are always welcome. The annual membership is $30. For additional information, contact us at email@example.com.