8 Ways to Serve This Holiday Season in the Upper Valley
I've been searching for ways to involve my family in community service this season. Service is an important part of celebrating the holidays to me; however, it can be difficult to know what to do when you have young kids. Here are five ways you can get involved with service this season with or without kids.
1. The Upper Valley Haven needs people to cook for their adult shelter. They often need cooks to prepare lunch, dinner and/or snacks. You can contact Amber Johnston at email@example.com or at 802.478.1805 with additional questions.
2. Samaritan's Purse holds an annual Operation Christmas Child event. The deadline is fast approaching, but keep in mind that this organization accepts shoeboxes at all times of the year. You pack a shoebox with toys, toiletries, etc. and drop it off locally to be sent to a child around the world. You can even pay an additional fee to see where your box is delivered.
3. Support The Family Place by contributing a decorated gingerbread house for auction or by putting together fun gift baskets to be auctioned off. You can also help them raise money by attending the annual Gingerbread Festival and bidding on items. Call 802-649-3268 or email Gingerbread@the-family-place.org with any additional questions.
4. You can contribute to the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth Hitchcock by coordinating a neighborhood or community drive. Contact Amie Marsh at Amie.L.Marsh@hitchcock.org for a list of their most-needed items, such as board games, DVDS, etc.
5. This service project is for older kids and adults (ages 14 and up), but it's a great one! King Arthur Flour Free Bake For Good classes around Thanksgiving and Christmas. You learn how to bake rolls, pies, cookies, etc. and feel good about donating what you make to the Upper Valley Haven. It's a win-win.
6. Sing holiday songs at a local assisted-living facility.
7. Decorate cards and deliver them to the VA Medical Center in White River Junction, VT to be handed out to veterans this holiday season.
8. Contact the Bugbee Senior Center in White River Junction, VT and inquire about current volunteer needs. You can also call (802) 295-9068 to inquire about their current needs.
Sign up HERE for weekly Upper Valley activity and event updates!