Men’s soccer picks up first League win
[caption id="attachment_102718" align="alignnone" width="1500"]Kelsey Kittelsen/The DartmouthKelsey Kittelsen/The Dartmouth Kelsey Kittelsen/The Dartmouth[/caption]

The men’s soccer team traveled to Providence, R.I., on Saturday to take on Brown University in its (6-7-4, 1-6 Ivy) final game of the season. The Big Green defeated the Bears (7-7-3, 3-2-2 Ivy) 3-1, giving Dartmouth its first Ivy League win of the season. “It lifts everyone’s spirits looking back on the season,” James Hickok ’17 said. “It feels really good to finish on a good win with our most complete performance.” The Big Green began as well as they could have hoped when just 30 seconds into the contest Alberto Gorini ’16 ripped a shot on goal, which the Brown keeper saved. But the rebound came to Gabe Hoffman-Johnson ’14, who put his shot past the keeper before the end of the first minute. “It is nice to get a win,” Gabe Stauber ’15 said. “Goals always change games.” With the lead, Dartmouth was able to maintain control over the game. The Bears did not go without a fight, with six first-half corner kicks, five more than the Big Green, and three more first-half shots. Brown wasn’t able to get by Hickok, as he and the Big Green defense stymied the Bears’ attack all night. “We played with a little more drive to send the seniors and this season on the way out and try to get a confidence boost going into next year,” Hickok said. After a Bears foul near the end of the 16th minute, Colin Heffron ’15 ripped a shot at goal. The Brown keeper was forced to make another save. Alex Adelabu ’15 then gathered the ball for a shot, but it sailed high. “We made the keeper work and get quality chances and I feel like we had the hunger and the composure to finish the chances,” head coach Chad Riley said. Brown’s inability to convert the set pieces that Dartmouth conceded was a defining factor in the story of the first half. “Finally we started to finish our chances a little too late in the season but is nice,” Stauber said, “We have had these looks all season but we have been unlucky.” After a series of Bears corner kicks around the 40th minute, the Big Green took possession again. A long pass from captain Colin Skelly ’14 to the goal line was received by Heffron, who chipped it over the keeper, giving Dartmouth a commanding 2-0 lead after an otherwise even first half. Coming out of half time, the Big Green did not lose a step, taking a couple early shots. Just 12 minutes into the second half Adelabu took the ball into the final third, heading toward the back line. Adelabu got by the defenders and beat the goalie one on one. Just like that, the Big Green had a 3-0 lead in the 58th minute. This goal was Adelabu’s fifth of the season, making this the second season in a row that he has led the team in goals. “It was a bonus to have the seniors, but we saw this as the first step as to where we want to go next year,” Riley said. “I think the passion and love for the game is what really came through for the guys.” Riley and Dartmouth were able to ease off the gas for the rest of the second half, focusing on keeping the Brown team from threatening to score again. The Bears took numerous long shots and the Big Green defense surrendered fewer corner kicks. At the end of the game, when all the Brown starters returned to the field, they were able to crack the Dartmouth shutout. A shot from the left corner of the box flew into the top right corner past Hickok in the 81st minute. Ultimately, the Big Green held on for their first Ivy League win in their final game of the season. “There’s a lot work between now and August but I think the guys are hungry and will work hard,” Riley said.
Advertisement: Content continues below...


Download the DailyUV app today!