CAPITAL FACILITIES PLANNING & BUDGETING COMMITTEE
Thursday, May 26, 2011, Tracy Hall - Multipurpose Room
Members Present: Ed Childs, Neil Fulton, John Lawe, Evan Pierce, Barry Rotman, Bob White
Members Absent: Tom Gray, Tom Sterling
Secretary: Nancy Kramer Others: Pete Webster, Linda Cook
John Lawe, Interim Chair, called the meeting to order at 8:05 am.
5. Acceptance of minutes. Fulton moved (2nd Pierce) to adopt the May 19, 2011 minutes as presented.
Motion passed. White abstained.
1. Elect a permanent Chair. Childs moved (2nd Pierce) to nominate Gray as Chair and Fulton as Vice-
Chair to the Committee. Motion passed. Since Gray was absent Fulton took over as Vice-Chair.
2. Review Work Plan for Committee. Fulton went over the draft Work Plan stating that he has suggested
dates for public forums and drafted three memos to start the data collection process. Equipment and
staffing for the DPW will be coordinated with the DPW Committee. After discussion, it was agreed lists
would be vetted with Department Heads before public forums. It was also agreed that the first public
forum would be a big list not ranked and public input would be invited. Fulton reviewed the flow chart.
The process would start with getting the memos out, compiling data and criteria and then filtering and
reducing. The Committee will take the time to build community support. The fifth public forum will include
the tax impact of the project. Also discussed were working conditions, providing opportunities for people
to visit facilities, opportunities to purchase properties, whether Tracy Hall was adequate for future staffing
needs and developing a capital fund for projects instead of a bond vote. The Committee also discussed
delaying public forums 3-5 until September and setting the date of the first forum for June 15th at 7:00 pm.
Fulton will redraft the Work Plan for further review at the June 2nd meeting. After review of the three
memos and one date change, the Committee agreed the memos should go out as soon as possible.
3. Review Reserve/Designated Funds. The Committee decided this was not needed at this time.
4. Public Comments. Cook asked if the Committee would consider varying their 8:00 am start time.
6. Next meeting agenda. Committee will discuss future meeting dates and times at their next meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 9:10 am.
Adopted by the Committee June 2, 2011.
Nancy Kramer, Secretary
Future Meetings: Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 8 am
Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 8 am