CAPITAL FACILITIES PLANNING & BUDGETING COMMITTEE
Thursday, August 18, 2011, Tracy Hall - Multipurpose Room
Members Present: Ed Childs, Tom Gray, Neil Fulton, John Lawe, Barry Rotman, Bob White (left
@ 8:40 am)
Members Absent: Evan Pierce, Tom Sterling
Secretary: Nancy Kramer Others: Pete Webster, Doug Robinson
Tom Gray, Chair, called the meeting to order at 8:06 am.
1. Review of Agenda. Two items were added to the agenda.
2. Public Comments. None.
3. Review of Information Received. 4. Determine Information Still Needed. The Committee is
still missing current and proposed staffing for 2016 and 2021 and recommended appropriations
to the Reappraisal Reserve Fund from the Listers, projected expenditures and appropriations to
the Fire Station, Police Station and General Administration Equipment Reserve Funds and needs
analysis and program for the proposed public works building and annual program and proposed
appropriations for paving from Public Works. White is working on reviewing the sidewalk
information with Lucy Gibson. There was some discussion about what the DPW Review
Committee would be providing to the Committee. It was agreed that Fulton would provide an
updated index of information.
5. Review Draft Public Mailing. The cover letter, truncated project list and short form for project
information submittal will go out on the Town Email List and placed on the front page of the Town
website. Gray will draft something for the Norwich Digest with a link to the Town website. Gray
will email final version to all and let Kramer know when it is ready to go. After review, the cover
letter was adjusted to ask for the public’s help, possible capital projects, solicit ideas from
Norwich residents, fill in blank items in the last paragraph with Town Manager’s Office and
Kramer’s email and add a paragraph about the second public forum which will include a deadline
for submission of September 16th which Fulton will draft. After discussion, the project list was
revised to change descriptions for DPW building, Fire and Police Station to include mention of
Agway building, bicycle/pedestrian path changed to Route 5 south tie in and add in sidewalks
and affordable housing. The project submittal sheet was approved as is.
6. Schedule Second Public Forum. Review Meeting Schedule. After discussion, the second
public forum was set for Wednesday, August 31st. Handouts will include an updated project list,
the mailing and any responses to the mailing. Gray will review needs for projects. After
discussion, Webster was asked to get Department Heads to list their top ten reasons for their
listed projects. The September 7th meeting was dropped due to people being on vacation, the
third public forum was changed to September 19th and the fourth public forum to September 22nd.
Agway Property Discussion. Webster has viewed the property with Steve Leinoff and Chief
Robinson. Webster believes the Town could save money by purchasing this property. If this
property was purchased and Public Works could take over the current Fire Station, Hodgdon said
renovations to the Public Works building could be limited to a three-sided cold storage garage
and a trailer for a field office. The Fire Department would need to add on a garage to the existing
Agway building. Response time for the Fire Department and the five mile preferred rating the
current Fire Station has were heavily discussed. Phil Dechert is working on getting a list of
households affected by the proposed move. Also discussed were: moving the Fire Station to the
DPW site, affordable housing use of present Police Station/Fire Station sites and the property
owned by Suburban across from Agway. After a fair amount of discussion, it was agreed that
key costs need to be developed and the Selectboard needs to be updated before moving forward
on this project.
7. Discussion of Agenda for Next Meeting. After discussion, it was agreed to invite Hodgdon,
Robinson and Leinoff to the next meeting to further discuss the Agway project. Webster will put
together some numbers for that meeting. The second public forum will be rescheduled at the
August 25th meeting.
8. Review Minutes from August 12 Meeting. Fulton moved (2nd Lawe) to adopt the
August 12, 2011 minutes. Motion passed.
9. Adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 9:45 am.
Approved by the Committee August 25, 2011.
Nancy Kramer, Secretary
Future Meetings: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 8:00 am
Thursday, September 1, 2011, 8:00 am